Bathroom Horror Story in Baltimore

     BALTIMORE (CN) – Work on the city sewer line blew a Baltimore woman off her toilet, sending her to the floor, “covered with filth and excretion,” she claims in court.     Angela Wright, of Anoka Avenue, filed the lawsuit Friday in Baltimore City Circuit Court, over injuries she sustained on Nov. 19, 2014.     Wright says she was sitting on the commode in her house that day “when suddenly and without warning and with great force and violence, the toilet backed up and she was blown off of said commode, knocked to the floor, covered with filth and excretion.”     In addition to severe damage her bathroom faced, Wright says she endured great “physical pain and mental anguish,” and that the incident caused her to lose “enjoyment of her usual pursuits and pastimes.”     Louis Glick, an attorney in Pikesville representing Wright, did not return a request for comment.

Read more

Competency Hearing Failure Assailed in Md.

     BALTIMORE (CN) – A judge failed to determine competency before convicting a man of threatening his children whom he saw as “devils,” Maryland’s highest court ruled.     The initial charges against Mario Sibug arose from an incident in 1998 in which he allegedly Sibug pointed a handgun at his five children and threatened to kill them.     When the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene deemed Sibug incompetent to stand trial the next year, it cited his “religious delusions” and inability to “separate man-made law from ‘God’s moral law.’”     In a period of several months of 2000, Sibug was committed, found competent to stand trial and then deemed incompetent again after his condition deteriorated.     The department did not consider Sibug competent again until 2003, but its records quoted Sibug as saying he would stop his medication when he was able to make that decision for himself.     Sibug had his next court appearance in 2004. He was then found guilty of second-degree assault and faced deportation to the Philippines.     Another court found later, however, that Sibug had been deprived of ineffective counsel since he had not been advised that his assault conviction carried immigration consequences.     When Sibug was retried before the same judge in 2008, court transcripts show that many aspects of his religious delusions had returned.     A jury again found Sibug guilty, and Sibug’s counsel requested a competency hearing prior to sentencing. The day of the sentencing, Sibug’s attorney attempted to have a hearing held to determine Sibug’s competency.     After deeming Sibug competent, the court sentenced him to ten years in prison with credit for the nearly five years he had spent institutionalized.     The Maryland Court of Appeals found on Nov. 25 that it had to sort out “the quagmire that results from a defendant in a criminal case having been adjudicated incompetent, then eight years later being tried and convicted in the same case without having been adjudged competent to stand trial.”     In 51-page ruling, the court remanded Sibug’s case for a new trial in Baltimore Circuit Court when competency is found.     “The obligation with respect to a determination of competency rests with the court and not the defendant,” Judge Adkins Battaglia wrote for the five-judge majority.     Judge Sally Adkins joined a brief dissent by Judge Shirley Watts that emphasizes Sibug’s obligation to raise the issue of competency.     “On this record, I would not conclude that the circuit court erred in refraining from raising Sibug’s competency sua sponte,” Watts wrote.

Read more

Penile-Implant Mess Brings Couple to Court

     BALTIMORE (CN) – Blaming his urologist in court for botching his penile implant procedure and maiming his member, a man named Willie says he will never have sex again.     Though Willie and his wife give their last name in the complaint they filed Tuesday in Baltimore City Circuit Court, Courthouse News has redacted it because of the sensitive nature of the claims.     They say it was surgeon Christen Alevizatos who recommended back in 2011 that Willie be outfitted wit ha three-piece hydraulic penile implant, the AMS 700 LGX.     Alevizatos allegedly measured Willie and “determined he needed a 21 cm cylinder for length with 6 cm bilateral rear tip extenders,” the complaint states.     On May 21, one day after his surgery, Willie “had a very painful penis,” according to the complaint.     Willie says “inflation of the implant” revealed “that the cylinder was too long as it would protrude at his glans penis.”     Alevizatos ultimately decided on Aug. 30, 2011, to replace Willie’s implant with the CX model, of the same measurements as the first model.     Though the doctor allegedly learned a few days later that his diabetic patient’s cultures were positive for bacteria, he did not administer intravenous antibiotics.     Willie says pain and swilling persisted, but Alevizatos still did not begin IV antibiotic therapy.     In February 2012 another doctor performed a “salvage irrigation procedure,” in which the device was removed, the wound irrigated with antibiotics and the prosthesis replaced, according to the complaint.     The new device was allegedly a little smaller with a 20 cm cylinder and 5 cm rear extender tips.     Pain from the infection continued to bother Willie, however, so he had the implant removed.     “Today, [Willie] is without an implant and has been unable to obtain an erection or have sex for almost three years,” according to the complaint. “Further, his penis is dramatically shortened due to the number of surgeries he has undergone and he will never be able to have sexual intercourse again.”     Willie and his wife seek damages for negligence from Alevizatos, Chesapeake Urology Associates and the Good Samaritan Hospital of Maryland.     They are represented by attorney Julia Arfaa.

Read more